I previously talked about my charm pack trial, having a go to see what it was possible to make with these packs of pre-cut squares. For anyone who hasn't heard of them, a charm pack is a pack of usually about 42 x 5 inch squares, in a range of fabrics from the same fabric line (so they should go together well). They are a good way to get a taster of a fabric line, and for around £10 a pop aren't too pricey either.
I posted before about the wall hanging I made with a PB & J by Basic Grey for Moda charm pack. I also bought a wren and friends by Gina Martin for Moda charm pack. I love the vibrant, almost 1970's colours in this range, and the blend of oranges, greens and blues which go together in an unexpected but lovely way.
I decided to turn this charm pack into a range of cushions. For the first cushion I cut 16 of the squares into quarters, giving me 64 x 2.5 inch squares. Then I simply stitched them together into an 8 x 8 square. I backed the pieced square with a piece of wadding and some scrap fabric and quilted it diagonally using an orange/red variegated thread, and then made the back of the cushion with a piece of brown fabric and a zip closure. I have a few Christmas cushions in the pipeline to make, and when I do I'll try and put together a tutorial for how I finish the backs of cushions with a zip - I have a really straightforward method which I saw demonstrated on TV once, it gives a lovely neat finish and I find holds together better than an envelope back.
For the second cushion I again took 16 squares and kind of half followed the method in this tutorial over at stitcherydickory dock to make the blocks you can see in the photo below. I finished the cushion in the same way as the first one, except with a white fabric for the backing.
And here's the back.
The third cushion was made using some of the triangular offcuts from the second cushion, and another one of Amy's tutorials. I'm really pleased with the effect, but think that it would be good to try making it with a darker fabric for the background, or quilting it a bit more heavily, so that the seam lines aren't as obvious.
If you're keeping count, you'll realise that I still have 10 charm squares left from my pack. I've been planning on using those to make a small dresden panel for a cushion - I've never done a dresden before and am quite excited to give it a go, it's just got pushed fairly far down on my to do list with all the Christmas sewing that's going on!